Postgraduate Course: Statistical Programming (MATH11176)
|School||School of Mathematics
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course focuses on teaching modern best practices for Statistical computing using the R programming language.
* This course is only available to students on an Mathematics MSc or MSc Data Science (Informatics)*
This course will touch on the following topics: R as a programming language, basics of version control, reproducible methods, tidy data principals, visualization, simulation methods, MCMC, probabilistic programming.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| * This course is only available to students on an Mathematics MSc or MSc Data Science (Informatics)*
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2022/23, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 24,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 2,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Coursework 100%, Examination 0% - students will be expected to complete several individual and team based computing assignments.
|| Written feedback for each assignment.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Show familiarity with the principles of computer programming.
- Write efficient implementations of statistical methods.
- Demonstrate expertise in data collection, cleaning and analysis.
- Show appreciation of reliable and reproducible computational methods
- Demonstrate expertise in commonly used computationally intensive methods.
|Advanced R - Wickham (2nd ed.) - Chapman and Hall/CRC, 2014 (978-0815384571)|
R for Data Science - Grolemund, Wickham - O'Reilly, 2016 (978-1491910399)
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Prof Simon Wood
|Course secretary||Miss Gemma Aitchison
Tel: (0131 6)50 9268