Postgraduate Course: Statistical Research Skills (MATH11188)
|School||School of Mathematics
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||The course will prepare MSc Statistics students for their dissertations providing experience of research-related techniques and skills.
Topics to be covered within the course include :
- Data wrangling and visualization;
- Consolidation of data science techniques;
- writing statistical reports;
- Oral presentational skills;
- Critical reviewing
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2022/23, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 10,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 10,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 2,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate confidence in their presentation skills (oral and written).
- Understand the statistical approach to a problem.
- Conduct simulation studies.
- Review papers and / or statistical analyses critically .
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||This course is only available to students enrolled on the 'MSc Statistics with Data Science' and 'MSc Statistics and Operational Research' degree programmes.
|Course organiser||Prof Ruth King
Tel: (0131 6)50 5947
|Course secretary||Miss Gemma Aitchison
Tel: (0131 6)50 9268