Undergraduate Course: Mechanical Engineering Design 2B (MECE08010)
|School||School of Engineering
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 2 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course will introduce MATLAB®, a software package for numerical computing and programming, and will describe the design and analysis of a range of simple machine elements. The aim of the course is to develop design skills and be able to use a software package such MATLAB® for the design and optimisation of engineering problems. Design methods, relevant codes and standards will be discussed, and these will be applied in progressively more challenging tutorial problems as well as in two design projects.
Wks 1-5: Self-study module: An interactive introduction to MATLAB
Wk 1: Introduction to the course
Wk 2: Overview of design considerations in Mechanical Engineering
Wk 3: Bolted and riveted joints loaded in shear
Wk 4: Stress analysis: Mohr's circle
Wk 5: Revision of design of trusses & briefing on Assignment 1
Wk 6: Design of shafts
Wk 7: Design of axial and radial clutches
Wk 8: Design of disk and drum brakes
Wk 9: Heating of brakes & briefing on Assignment 2
Wk 10: Design of flywheels
Accreditation of Higher Education Programmes (AHEP)
SM3b, EA1b, EA3b, D3b, P2, G3, D5
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Be competent in using the most common features of MATLAB® and understand how to use it to solve engineering problems.
- Design a pin jointed structure for strength and choose a material for a specific design including an appropriate Factors of Safety.
- Design a shaft under axial, bending and torsional loading using ASME standards in shaft design data.
- Design radial and axial clutches and drum and disc brakes.
- Design flywheels for inertia considerations.
|Budynas and Nisbett. (2010). Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design. McGraw-Hill.|
|Course organiser||Dr Anthony Callanan
Tel: (0131 6)50 7355
|Course secretary||Miss Jennifer Yuille
Tel: (0131 6)51 7073