Postgraduate Course: Advanced Composite Materials (MSc) (PGEE11232)
|School||School of Engineering
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||Advanced Composites Materials 5 is a predominantly laboratory-based course aimed at design, manufacture and testing of fibre reinforced composite materials. Students will learn how to design a reinforced composite laminate, the theory behind such design (Composite Laminated Plate Theory), and will carry out a comprehensive set of mechanical and physical tests on a representative fibre reinforced composite, in order to validate the design process by experimental manufacture and testing. Laboratories and coursework will constitute 100% of the marks for the course. There will be coursework using FEM software ABAQUS.
The course will consist of 24 hours of lectures, plus 4 laboratory experiments and 1 design project:
1.Composite Materials Overview ;4 hours
2.Composite Laminated Plate Theory-10 hours
3.Processing & Characterisation Techniques ;6 hours
4.Experimental Methods ;4 hours
1. Lamina tensile testing
2. Lamina compressive testing
3. Lamina off-axis tensile testing
4. Multi-ply laminate tensile and flexure testing experiments
1.Finite element analysis and lay-up optimisation of composites using ABAQUS software.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2022/23, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 26,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 4,
Supervised Practical/Workshop/Studio Hours 18,
Formative Assessment Hours 1,
Summative Assessment Hours 2,
Revision Session Hours 1,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Students given extended problems (e.g. past exam papers) to be worked through in class in advance. Can then assess their own progress if this question is attempted independently before the relevant lecture. Also discussions with course staff in tutorials and office hours.
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Design a fibre-reinforced composite laminate using Composite Laminated Plate Theoryand combined anisotropic failure theories;
- Manufacture composite laminates and test specimens using pre-impregnated tape or resin infusion methods;
- Characterise fibre-reinforced composites using and mechanical test methods (tensile, off-axis tensile, flexure and compressive);
- Use displacement and strain gauges, contact and non-contact extensometry to measure specimen deformation and interpret mechanical test results on multi-angle composite laminates;
- Physically characterise degree of cure, fibre volume fraction and use optical and scanning electron microscopy to characterise failure surfaces.
|Experimental Characterization of Advanced Composite Materials, 4thedition, Leif. A. Carlsson et al, CRC Press, 2014.|
Introduction to Composites Materials Design, 2ndedition, E. J. Barbero, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis, 2011.
An Introduction to Composite Materials, 2ndedition, D. Hull, T.W. Clyne, Cambridge University Press, 1996.
Composite Materials: Engineering and Science, F.L. Matthews and R. D. Rawlings, CRC Press, 1999.
Thermal Analysis of Polymers: Fundamentals and Applications, Joseph D. Menczel, R. Bruce Prime, Wiley, 2009.
Manufacturing of Polymer Composites, Tomas Astrom, CRC Press, 1997
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Dongmin Yang
Tel: (0131 6)50 5644
|Course secretary||Mr James Foster
Tel: (0131 6)51 3562