Undergraduate Course: Group Design Project (Hydropower Scheme) (SCEE11002)
|School||School of Engineering
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This project is intended to introduce students to multidisciplinary planning and design through the full design, specification and evaluation of a small-hydro scheme. The project should develop creative thinking, team skills, and an improved understanding of other disciplines.
The course may be taken by students of Chemical, Civil, Structural, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering and Electronics. It takes the form of a multi-disciplinary design project. The project is scheduled to run on one supervised afternoon per week, and students will need to devote considerable self study time also. It is a group project. The project will be inter-disciplinary and requires team effort.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
| This course is intended to:
- encourage questioning and creative thinking;
- develop skills in problem identification and study planning;
- provide a realistic team working environment;
- further develop communication skills.
By the end of the project the student should have:
- improved team working skills;
- improved communication skills;
- a better appreciation of project planning issues;
- an appetite for creative engineering and planning.
Specific technical outcomes will include -
- familiarity of and competency in hydrological analysis;
- pipeline design, power house design, electromechanical equipment specification, power system analysis and economic and environmental assessment
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Additional Class Delivery Information
||3 hour(s) per week for 11 week(s).
|Keywords||interdisciplinary hydro hydrological
|Course organiser||Prof Gareth Harrison
Tel: (0131 6)50 5583
|Course secretary||Mrs Megan Inch-Kellingray
Tel: (0131 6)51 7079