Undergraduate Course: Homiletics 3/4 (THET10008)
|School||School of Divinity
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||An advanced course in preaching with special attention to hermeneutical, theological, practical and contextual issues.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||Visiting students should have at least 3 Divinity/Religious Studies courses at grade B or above (or be predicted to obtain this). We will only consider University/College level courses.
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of the liturgical, pastoral and public contexts of preaching.
- Demonstrate the ability to exegete specific genres of biblical texts appropriately for preaching.
- Outline and evaluate the different approaches to preaching found in the 'new homiletic'.
- Evaluate preaching form and content.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||- Empathy and imaginative insight, with a tolerance of diverse positions
- Self- discipline
- Capacity for reflexive learning
- Commitment to lifelong learning
- Ability to attend to others and respect others' views
- Ability to gather, evaluate and synthesise different types of information
- Analytical ability and the capacity to formulate questions and solve problems
- Writing skills, including clear expression and citing relevant evidence
- Technological and media literacy, including the generation of documents and other resources
- Awareness of the importance of contemporary media as both a study resource and a disucssion medium
- Ability to engage critically with the meaning of documents and recognise that meanings may be multiple
|Course organiser||Prof Jolyon Mitchell
Tel: (0131 6)50 8922
|Course secretary||Mr Jamie Smith
Tel: (0131 6)50 8913