THE UNIVERSITY of EDINBURGH

DEGREE REGULATIONS & PROGRAMMES OF STUDY 2010/2011
- ARCHIVE for reference only
THIS PAGE IS OUT OF DATE

University Homepage
DRPS Homepage
DRPS Search
DRPS Contact
DRPS : Course Catalogue : School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures : European Languages and Cultures - Hispanic Studies

Undergraduate Course: Portuguese 1 (ELCH08012)

Course Outline
School School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures College College of Humanities and Social Science
Course type Standard Availability Available to all students
Credit level (Normal year taken) SCQF Level 8 (Year 1 Undergraduate) Credits 40
Home subject area European Languages and Cultures - Hispanic Studies Other subject area None
Course website None Taught in Gaelic? No
Course description This is an intensive course of tuition in spoken and written Portuguese for students with little or no previous knowledge of the language. The course will run for four hours a week throughout the year. Different points of grammar will be covered on a weekly basis in a grammar lecture and these will be reinforced in spoken and written language classes. In Semester 1 the fourth hour will be dedicated to reading, listening and video comprehension exercises through which the students will acquire a general overview of the history and culture of the Portuguese-speaking world. In Semester 2, students will study appropriate literary texts.

The course is open to students of any year and from other programmes, but priority will be given to students who have Portuguese as a named component in their degree. The number of students admitted is strictly limited to 30. A great deal of private study is necessary to meet the requirements of the course.
Entry Requirements
Pre-requisites Co-requisites
Prohibited Combinations Other requirements None
Additional Costs Textbooks costing approximately 35
Information for Visiting Students
Pre-requisites None
Displayed in Visiting Students Prospectus? No
Course Delivery Information
Delivery period: 2010/11 Full Year, Available to all students (SV1) WebCT enabled:  Yes Quota:  30
Location Activity Description Weeks Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
CentralLecture1-22 09:00 - 09:50
CentralLecture1-22 09:00 - 09:50
First Class Week 1, Tuesday, 09:00 - 09:50, Zone: Central. Appleton Tower 2.14
Exam Information
Exam Diet Paper Name Hours:Minutes Stationery Requirements Comments
Main Exam Diet S2 (April/May)2:002 x 8 sides
Resit Exam Diet (August)2:002 x 8 sides
Summary of Intended Learning Outcomes
By the end of this course the students will be able to use all of the main grammatical constructions of Modern European Portuguese, converse in Portuguese on a variety of everyday subjects, read proficiently and accurately in Portuguese and write an essay in Portuguese with a clear and well developed argument, making use of some complex forms.
Students will also have a sound basic understanding of the geographical extent, historical development and cultural diversity of the Portuguese-speaking world.
Additionally, the course will allow students to develop their ability as linguists, through a greater understanding of the structure of language, and improve their communication skills, in particular both oral and written presentation skills.
Assessment Information
There will be regular written language exercises, two class tests, and an essay (in English) on a literary topic.

All language exercises will be marked out of 100. The marks for language exercises (20%), the class tests (12%), and the mark for the Essay (8%) make up 40% of the total year assessment. The remaining 60% will be decided by the May Degree Examinations (Oral examination, 20%; Language component of examination, 20%; literature component, 20%).
Special Arrangements
None
Additional Information
Academic description Not entered
Syllabus Not entered
Transferable skills Not entered
Reading list Not entered
Study Abroad Not entered
Study Pattern Not entered
Keywords Not entered
Contacts
Course organiser Dr Charlotte Hammond Matthews
Tel: (0131 6)50 3631
Email: c.e.liddell@ed.ac.uk
Course secretary Mrs Fiona Scanlon
Tel: (0131 6)50 3646
Email: Fiona.Scanlon@ed.ac.uk
Navigation
Help & Information
Home
Introduction
Glossary
Search DPTs and Courses
Regulations
Regulations
Degree Programmes
Introduction
Browse DPTs
Courses
Introduction
Humanities and Social Science
Science and Engineering
Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
Other Information
Timetab
Prospectuses
Important Information
 
copyright 2011 The University of Edinburgh - 31 January 2011 7:40 am