Postgraduate Course: Electrical Engineering Fundamentals of Renewable Energy (PGEE11024)
||School of Engineering
||College of Science and Engineering
||Available to all students
|Credit level (Normal year taken)
||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
|Home subject area
||Postgrad (School of Engineering)
||Other subject area
||Taught in Gaelic?
||The course will introduce basic principles and concepts of electrical engineering to students with non-electrical backgrounds. This should provide students with a foundation and knowledge necessary for the understanding of electrical aspects of renewable energy engineering. Techniques and equipment used in the generation, transmission, distribution and utilisation of electrical power will be analysed and discussed, as well as how a power system operates and what are the general problems facing electricity utilities.
1. A general introduction to power systems, an overview of renewable energy sources and their contribution to the overall electricity generation mix.
2. Basic mathematics, ac quantities, phasors, complex numbers, operators.
3. Resistance, capacitance and inductance, basic RLC circuits, Ohm's and Kirchhoff's laws.
4. Active, reactive and apparent powers, instantaneous and average values, power factor and reactive power compensation, voltage drop across a line.
5. Three-phase circuits, star and delta connection of balanced and unbalanced loads, star-delta transformation, advantages of three-phase systems.
6. Introduction to electromagnetics, Ampere's and Faraday's laws, magnetomotive force, Lorentz's force, reluctance, B, H, PHI, L, B-H curve.
7. Magnetic circuits and ideal/real transformer, turns ratio, losses, efficiency, impedance matching, transformer equation and equivalent circuit.
8. Induction motor, construction, basic principles of operation, analogy with the transformer, equivalent circuit, torque-speed curve, methods of starting.
9. Synchronous generator, construction, basic principles of operation, equivalent circuit, control of output active/reactive power, frequency and voltage.
Information for Visiting Students
|Displayed in Visiting Students Prospectus?
Course Delivery Information
|Delivery period: 2010/11 Semester 1, Available to all students (SV1)
||WebCT enabled: Yes
|King's Buildings||Lecture||1-11|| 09:00 - 10:50|
|King's Buildings||Tutorial||4-11|| 11:10 - 12:00|
||Week 1, Wednesday, 09:00 - 09:50, Zone: King's Buildings. Introductory lecture, JCMB LTB |
||1 hour(s) per week for 7 week(s).
|Main Exam Diet S1 (December)||Electrical Engineering Fundamentals of Renewable Energy||1:30||12 sides|
Summary of Intended Learning Outcomes
|Revision of fundamental electrical engineering concepts and principles necessary to understand various renewable energy resources and their conversion to electrical form. Awareness and understanding of the main problems of grid integration of renewables.
||AC circuit analysis, single-phase and three-phase electricity supply systems, synchronous machine, i
||Dr Sasa Djokic
Tel: (0131 6)50 5595
||Mrs Kim Orsi
Tel: (0131 6)50 5687
copyright 2011 The University of Edinburgh -
31 January 2011 8:05 am