Undergraduate Course: Old Testament Texts (BIST10036)
|School||School of Divinity
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||Detailed study of selected passages from the Old Testament in English translation.
Information for Visiting Students
|Pre-requisites||Permission of the Course Manager.
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2014/15, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 22,
Feedback/Feedforward Hours 1,
Summative Assessment Hours 2,
Revision Session Hours 1,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Essay of 2,000 words (30%);
Portfolio of seminar readings (10%);
Degree exam (60%).
|No Exam Information
| After successful completion of this course, a student will have:
1) a knowledge of seminal contributions to the theological and historical study of one or more key Old Testament texts;
2) an ability to write an essay showing independent, critical analysis of one or more OT texts;
3) the ability to express independent critical assessment of the views of other scholars who have worked with the same texts;
4) the ability to engage in constructive scholarly debate with other seminar members;
5) an awareness of the political and literary nature of ancient texts.
6) demonstrate an ability to identify key terms and their meanings;
7) demonstrate good judgement about how to judge the relative importance of items on course bibliographies.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Keywords||Old Testament; Biblical Studies.
|Course organiser||Dr David Reimer
Tel: (0131 6)50 8977
|Course secretary||Ms Katrina Munro
Tel: (0131 6)50 8900
© Copyright 2014 The University of Edinburgh - 12 January 2015 3:32 am