Undergraduate Course: Historical Geographies of Science (GEGR10098)
|School||School of Geosciences
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||The aims of the course in terms of knowledge, understanding and subject content are:
- to examine curren theoretical debates among geographers, historians of science and in cognate disciplines on the geographical nature of knowledge-making and the situated nature of geographical knowledge, considered in historical context;
- to examine substantive themes in the historical geography of geographical knowledge;
- to understand the spatial constitution, reception and movement of geographical ideas.
Information for Visiting Students
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
| The aim of the proposed option, in terms of knowledge, understanding and subject content, are:
1. To examine current theoretical debates among geographers, historians of science and cognate disciplines on the geographical nature of knowledge-making and the situated nature of scientific knowledge in historical context so students are aware of how understanding in this field is developed;
2. To examine and have a detailed knowledge of substantive themes in the historical geography of science (in relation to the location, constitution and reception of scientific knowledge).
The aims of the proposed option, in terms of the students' transferable skills, are:
1. To allow students to engage, through inter-disciplinary study, with a range of theoretical ideas and empirical examples to do with the historical geography of science;
2. To enable students to interpret a variety of source material so they are skilled at making decisions where information is limited and/or comes from a range of source materials;
3. To provide training in critical analysis so students are able to offer professional level insights;
4. To provide training in written presentation.
|Course organiser||Prof Charles Withers
Tel: (0131 6)50 2559
|Course secretary||Mrs Catherine Campbell
Tel: (0131 6)50 9847