University Homepage
DRPS Homepage
DRPS Search
DRPS Contact
DRPS : Course Catalogue : Deanery of Molecular, Genetic and Population Health Sciences : Molecular and Clinical Medicine

Postgraduate Course: Introduction to Clinical Pharmacology (MCLM11018)

Course Outline
SchoolDeanery of Molecular, Genetic and Population Health Sciences CollegeCollege of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
Credit level (Normal year taken)SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
Course typeOnline Distance Learning AvailabilityNot available to visiting students
SCQF Credits10 ECTS Credits5
SummaryThis module aims to ensure that candidates have a sound understanding of basic pharmacology principles and practices. Pharmacodynamics and pharmacokinetics principles will be taught using clinical examples. Reasons for individual variation, drug monitoring, and types of adverse drug reactions will be discussed using interactive and problem based scenarios. Candidates will also learn and reflect on medication compliance, why medication errors occur and will discuss safe prescribing guidelines. Candidates will gain a good understanding of the mechanisms of action and effects of recreational misused drugs. They will discuss common clinical toxicology/ poisoning case scenarios and develop analytical reasoning to aid diagnostic and management decisions.
Course description Not entered
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
Pre-requisites Co-requisites
Prohibited Combinations Other requirements None
Course Delivery Information
Academic year 2015/16, Not available to visiting students (SS1) Quota:  None
Course Start Semester 2
Timetable Timetable
Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info) Total Hours: 100 ( Seminar/Tutorial Hours 5, Online Activities 100, Feedback/Feedforward Hours 40, Formative Assessment Hours 12, Summative Assessment Hours 10, Revision Session Hours 8, Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 2, Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours 0 )
Assessment (Further Info) Written Exam 0 %, Coursework 100 %, Practical Exam 0 %
Additional Information (Assessment) Formal, summarative assessment will constitute 90% of the candidate¿s grade (clinical scenarios). Online assessment (participation in interactive modules, discussion boards and group work) will constitute the other 10% of their overall course grade and is taken to represent a formative assessment of learning throughout the programme.
Feedback Not entered
No Exam Information
Learning Outcomes
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
  1. Outline the basic principles of pharmacology that guide prescribing in a general medical setting

    Outline the basic principles of dose adjustment and pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics
  2. Explain why medication errors occur, rate their impact and model practice to improve safe prescribing

    Assess the effects and side effects of common recreational drugs misuse
  3. Discuss the factors contributing to individual variation including consideration of patients with organ failure and pregnancy
  4. Relate types of and reasons for adverse drug reactions
  5. Critically compare factors contributing to poor medication compliance
Reading List
Additional Information
Graduate Attributes and Skills Not entered
KeywordsPharmacology, clinical, medicine, drug
Course organiserMiss Michelle Evans
Tel: 0131 537 3326
Course secretaryMrs Danielle Marlow
Tel: 0131 537 3798
Help & Information
Search DPTs and Courses
Degree Programmes
Browse DPTs
Humanities and Social Science
Science and Engineering
Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
Other Information
Combined Course Timetable
Important Information
© Copyright 2015 The University of Edinburgh - 18 January 2016 4:27 am