Undergraduate Course: Sustainable Energy Group Design Project 3 (MECE09026)
|School||School of Engineering
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 9 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course aims to give students experience of tackling an engineering design problem in the area of renewable / sustainable energy, with all the uncertainties of the real world, personal interactions and time management.
1. Introduction to team working roles and group selection
2-3. Introduction to project and specialist lecture material, brainstorming
4-9. Group working and project supervision sessions
10. Report submission
11. Oral Exam
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2015/16, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Lecture Hours 8,
Seminar/Tutorial Hours 14,
Formative Assessment Hours 1,
Summative Assessment Hours 10,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 2,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
|No Exam Information
| On completion of the course, the students should be able to:
1. Analyse a real problem and identify the key difficulties.
2. Appreciate the uncertainties and gaps in design data.
3. Produce a range of possible solutions.
4. Select the best of them.
5. Write key design equations.
6. Do neat assembly drawings and detailed drawings of some critical parts.
7. Understand something of group dynamics and personal interactions.
8. Understand the non-linear passage of time and its acceleration at the end of a project.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Additional Class Delivery Information
||Other Teaching Staff = Uwe Stein
|Course organiser||Dr John Chick
Tel: (0131 6)50 5675
|Course secretary||Mrs Lynn Hughieson
Tel: (0131 6)50 5687
© Copyright 2015 The University of Edinburgh - 18 January 2016 4:27 am