Postgraduate Course: Leadership across different health care contexts: achieving your potential (NUST11045)
|School||School of Health in Social Science
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||The course will focus on the introduction of change and leadership in a variety of health care settings. It will lead on to the successful implementation of a patient-focused, needs-led and practical innovation to achieve service improvement. The techniques and tools required and available will be examined for their effectiveness. Through a case study, the student will critically analyse and evaluate the working/placement environment.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate an extensive, detailed and critical knowledge and understanding of the main theoretical perspectives that inform developments at the forefront of current thinking on leadership within the healthcare setting.
- Apply a critical understanding of a range of key leadership theories, principles and concepts to your own context specific practice irrespective of whether or not you are currently in a formal leadership role.
- Demonstrate you are able to critically reflect on your own roles, knowledge acquisition, emotional intelligence, self-awareness and personal development in leadership to include skills such as team building, networking and conflict management.
- Demonstrate an awareness of and critical evaluation of recent research in areas related to leadership.
- Critically review, consolidate and extend knowledge, skills and practices and thinking in leadership thus enabling you to deal with complex issues and make informed judgements relating to leadership and teamwork.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Ms Maggie Carson
Tel: (0131 6)51 3928
|Course secretary||Mr Sergio Mori Sierra
Tel: (0131 6)50 4661