Undergraduate Course: Experimental Physics (PHYS09049)
|School||School of Physics and Astronomy
||College||College of Science and Engineering
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 9 (Year 3 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course comprises four experimental projects for each student, chosen (from a wide-ranging total set) to include a balanced sample of experimental techniques. Each project is undertaken over six 3-hour laboratory sessions.
Workshops are held at the beginning of semester 1.
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2015/16, Not available to visiting students (SS1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Supervised Practical/Workshop/Studio Hours 72,
Summative Assessment Hours 2,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 4,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||100% coursework including written reported and laboratory notebooks:
Four written reports, 60%
Four laboratory notebooks, 20%
Oral presentation, 20%
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Design and perform an experiment to test a physical theory - identifying, quantifying and controlling sources of experimental error.
- Analysis and critical review of experimental data and comparison with theory or literature as appropriate.
- Maintain a complete and legible contemporary record of experimental methods, analysis, results and conclusions.
- Present a complete, reproducible written or oral account of an experiment and the conclusions drawn from it to a professional standard, incorporating figures, tables and graphs where appropriate.
- Resolve conceptual and technical difficulties by locating and integrating relevant information from a diverse range of sources.
|Course organiser||Dr Thomas Davinson
Tel: (0131 6)50 5250
|Course secretary||Mrs Siobhan Macinnes
Tel: (0131 6)51 3448
© Copyright 2015 The University of Edinburgh - 18 January 2016 4:43 am