Postgraduate Course: Dissertation (MSc Finance and Investment) (BUST11079)
|College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)
|SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
|Available to all students
|The Business School MSc Dissertation is undertaken in the spring and summer period following Semester 2/2b. Undertaking the Dissertation requires the student to develop a deep level of analysis and understanding of the theory and processes of organisations and the business environment through the completion of a piece of individual research.
The Dissertation aims to make a study in depth of a topic in which the student is particularly interested in within the field of finance and investment. It allows the student to gain experience of planning, designing, executing and reporting a significant piece of individual research. Experience is also gained in the processes involved in research, such as obtaining information from people, securing their co-operation, analysing and evaluating data, framing recommendations, and other methods of field study and data collection. Students learn how to communicate complex ideas and information in a coherent and structured manner.
Student Learning Experience
The Dissertation provides the opportunity for students to engage in a research project and, in particular, the ability to study a specific topic and question, identify the issues and how they may be researched, collect and validate appropriate data, organise and discuss the findings, their reliability and validity and present results in a logical and clear manner.
The Dissertation integrates elements from the course of study and requires students to identify and define a research topic, conduct the research and write it up in a Dissertation format. This is all within a predetermined time frame, which from start to finish lasts approximately 3 months (May/June through August for 12-month students).
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
| PGs only
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Study in depth a topic within the field of business studies.
- Plan, design, execute and report a significant piece of individual research.
- Apply the processes involved in research, such as obtaining information from people, securing their co-operation, analysing and evaluating data, framing recommendations, and other methods of field study and data collection.
- Communicate, via a report, complex ideas and information in a coherent and structured manner.
|The dissertation provides the opportunity for the student to apply the knowledge and understanding from taught courses, with additional self-directed reading/research, and the analytical and problem-solving techniques acquired during the study courses, to investigate a specialist interest in greater depth.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|* Demonstrate skills of researching and writing that are relevant to a subsequent career.
* Organise complex arguments and communicate these in an effective manner.
* Apply advanced and in-depth knowledge and understanding.
* Carry out self-directed reading and research.
* Apply analytical and problem-solving techniques to investigate a specialist interest in greater depth.
|Dr Arman Eshraghi
Tel: (0131 6)50 4311
|Mr Jonathan Macbride
Tel: (0131 6)51 3028