Undergraduate Course: Portuguese 4 Language Paper 1 (ELCH10058)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Humanities and Social Science
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 10 (Year 4 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Summary||This course is ONLY for those students taking Portuguese as a named part of an honours degree. The course is concerned with familiarising you with a wide variety of registers and the complex grammatical structures of European Portuguese. Teaching will be based on a booklet of course materials containing texts ranging from literary to journalistic with thematic emphasis on current events relating to Portugal and the Portuguese-Speaking world. Written materials will be provided which you will be expected to read and prepare in advance of each class. You will be introduced to summary writing, advanced comprehension, translation and composition.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
|| Students MUST have passed:
Portuguese Language 2 (ELCH08013)
||Other requirements|| Entry to Hispanic Studies Hons required
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate confidence and accuracy of expression in spoken and written Portuguese.
- Use a wide range of complex structures and idiomatic expressions.
- Understand written Portuguese through access to and close analysis of a selection of written materials in a range of registers.
- Understand Portuguese Media through a range of visual comprehension exercises.
- Comprehend the issues currently affecting Portugal.
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
|Course organiser||Dr Raquel Ribeiro
Tel: (0131 6)51 7112
|Course secretary||Miss Fiona Jack
Tel: (0131 6)50 3635