Postgraduate Course: Periodontal Management in Primary Dental Care (DENT11110)
|School||Deanery of Clinical Sciences
||College||College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 11 (Postgraduate)
||Availability||Not available to visiting students
|Summary||This course is designed to update knowledge on current clinical periodontal disease management. It will help students to understand the relevance of periodontal health in restorative treatment planning and it will give an opportunity to discuss the diagnosis and management of periodontal disease.
It will review current diagnostic terminology and clinical technique. It will update knowledge about the aetiology of the disease process in light of current research evidence. It will review the efficacy of a range of treatment regimens and will discuss both surgical and non-surgical treatments.
Detail still to be finalised
Course Delivery Information
|Not being delivered|
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in using modern diagnostic terminology for periodontal disease and apply to clinical scenarios.
- Demonstrate competence in treatment planning clinical cases that require periodontal disease management.
- Critically analyse the role of good communication skills in the modification of patient behaviour.
- Analyse the importance of the risk factors associated with periodontal disease with reference to the supporting scientific literature and apply this knowledge in the clinical environment.
- Apply the principles of self-evaluation in periodontal management recognising personal skill limitations and demonstrate this in a written reflective account of progress within this course of study.
|Available on the VLE as links to the University of Edinburgh library|
|Graduate Attributes and Skills
||Computer specification to enable participation
|Keywords||Periodontal disease management,diagnosis,monitoring,surgery,microbiology,treatment planning
|Course organiser||Dr Oonagh Lawrie
Tel: (0131) 536 3974
|Course secretary||Miss Jennifer Allison
Tel: (0131) 536 3975