During 3rd year, when permitted, at least 30 weeks to be spent in a relevant country and prescribed work completed in English Language and the relevant language. During sessions when this is not permitted students will be offered an alternative means of engagement.
Students may take either (i) MEL dissertation preparation in year 3 and MEL dissertation completion in year 4 or (ii) Dissertation Preparation Abroad (Language Sciences) in year 3 and Dissertation Completion following Study Abroad (Language Sciences) in year 4. If students take option (ii), they must spend their year abroad at a university where they can study appropriate courses in English Language (see the regulations for Year Abroad Work for Degrees in Italian and English Language for full details).
One unit of assessment is allocated to every 20 credits and constitutes one 20-credit paper. The following are the twelve 20-credit papers on which the classification of the degree is based.
1. Italian Language Paper 1 (10 credits from Language acquisition and 10 from Y4 LP1 course)
2. Italian Language Paper 2 (10 credits from Language acquisition and 10 from Y4 LP2 course)
3. Oral for Italian (taught and assessed in Y4)
4. Italian Online Language Course for Year Abroad Students
5. LEL YA work
6. LEL YA work OR LEL Dissertation Preparation (same mark as 8)
7. MEL Year Abroad work OR MEL Dissertation Preparation (see 8)
8. LEL Dissertation Completion, MEL Long Essay OR MEL Dissertation Completion (Papers 7 & 8 are a combined grade 10% from preparation and 90% from final dissertation preparation. Credits cannot be awarded for Dissertation preparation unless the full 2 year course is completed.)
9. Italian Hons option course
10. LEL option 1
11. LEL option 2
12. LEL option 3