Undergraduate Course: Gaelic 1A (CELT08004)
|School||School of Literatures, Languages and Cultures
||College||College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
|Credit level (Normal year taken)||SCQF Level 8 (Year 1 Undergraduate)
||Availability||Available to all students
|Taught in Gaelic?||Yes
|Summary||An intensive beginners' course in Scottish Gaelic, providing tuition and practice in written and spoken Gaelic. A considerable amount of private work is needed to meet the requirements of this course. Students not intending to continue their study of Gaelic beyond the first year should normally enrol in CELT08017, Introduction to Gaelic Language and Culture.
Entry Requirements (not applicable to Visiting Students)
||Other requirements|| None
Information for Visiting Students
|High Demand Course?
Course Delivery Information
|Academic year 2023/24, Available to all students (SV1)
|Learning and Teaching activities (Further Info)
Supervised Practical/Workshop/Studio Hours 110,
Programme Level Learning and Teaching Hours 8,
Directed Learning and Independent Learning Hours
|Assessment (Further Info)
|Additional Information (Assessment)
||Module tests x 10, 40%
Homework Assignments 40%
Oral assessments 20%
|No Exam Information
On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Read and comprehend simple texts in Scottish Gaelic.
- Write simple texts in Scottish Gaelic on a range of everyday themes.
- Comprehend spoken Scottish Gaelic and respond idiomatically and fluently to a range of questions.
- Speak Scottish Gaelic, using a range of familiar expressions and phrases correctly and fluently.
- Understand the phonological and grammatical structure of Scottish Gaelic.
|Course organiser||Dr Duncan Sneddon
Tel: (0131 6)50 3623
|Course secretary||Ms Anne Kelly
Tel: (0131 6)50 4167